500 g extra lean ground chicken
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp red pepper paste, sweet
1 tsp red pepper paste, hot
For Roll (sarma):
1 packet Original Tortillas (keep them warm)
1 tsp butter, melted
Parsley, finely chopped
Yogurt Sauce & Tomato Sauce:
Yogurt, at room temperature
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes, heated up with a few tablespoons of water
Knead all the kofte ingredients for 3-4 minutes. If you can, use the flat metal skewers for this kebab. Take a fist-sized ball and place it on the skewer starting from the tip of the skewer. Squeeze and flatten it on the skewer going back slowly, so that it is thin and flat.
Preheat the barbecue or oven (grill). Place the skewers on the rack. Make sure to turn the skewers so that all sides of the meat cook equally. Afterwards, roll the Kebab pieces with a Tortilla, but only one layer, it shouldn't be thick. Brush the surface of the Tortilla with the melted butter. Sprinkle some chopped parsley all over and cut in 2-inch wide pieces. Arrange them on a serving dish along with yogurt and tomato sauce, and serve while they are still hot.
Makes 4 servings.
• 3-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 4 tablespoons garlic powder
• 4 tablespoons onion powder
• 1 cup clean salsa (use mild if kids will be eating these!)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (Not the same as yeast for baking bread)
• 4 packs (12 count) small, clean, corn tortillas
1. Bake the chicken breasts in the oven at 350 with half of the onion and garlic powder sprinkled on them, until done.
2. Cut off any unwanted parts and put the cooled chicken breasts into a food processor.
3. Add the rest of the garlic and onion powders, salsa, olive oil, and nutritional yeast. Blend until you have a well blended, “crumbly dough” looking mixture.
4. Warm the tortillas in the microwave, wrapping them in a wet paper towel. Get them nice and “pliable” so they don’t rip while you are rolling them. They will be hot, so don’t burn yourself!
5. Put about 1 tbsp. of meat on a tortilla, and roll up like you are rolling a carpet.
6. Place the taquitos in an oiled baking pan and spray the tops with olive oil using an oil mister/sprayer. This will give you the browned crunchiness that everyone loves in a taquito.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F. until they are golden brown (About 20 minutes, but the time can vary from oven to oven. So keep an eye on them).
8. Cool and serve with salsa for dipping!
Note: These freeze well. To eat after freezing, defrost overnight in the fridge and then warm in the oven. You can microwave them, but they get soggy.
What You'll Need
1/2 cup Pace Picante Sauce
1 large tomato, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
6 flour tortillas (8-inch)
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
1 small green pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
How to Make It
• 1 Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the picante sauce, tomato and oregano in a small bowl.
• 2 Place the tortillas onto 2 baking sheets. Spread about 1/4 cup picante sauce mixture on each tortilla to within 1/2-inch of the edge. Top each with the pepperoni, pepper and cheese.
• 3 Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut each pizza into 4 wedges.
5-7 Flour Tortilla, large (Mexican Burrito)
¼ tsp salt to taste
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil (preferably canola/olive oil)
1 tsp nigella seeds (optional)
Filling with Feta cheese
150 gr crumbled feta cheese or Mexican crumbling cheese
½ bunch of parsley or dill chopped (1 cup)
In a bowl, whisk eggs, oil and milk. You will use this mixture between every layer of tortillas and on top of borek. In another bowl combine filling ingredients. Also you can use other fillings for borek. Grease a 3 L (13*9*2 inch) Pyrex dish or smaller. Fill a large bowl with water and soak each tortilla in it to make them softer. Then place one tortilla and if it does not fit your dish, you can trim the edges or tear in half. And then use these pieces to make a layer. Spread 3-4 tbsp of the mixture over each layer and put some of the filling you are using and spread it evenly. Continue layering in the same way; first the liquid mixture and then the filling.
Cover the top with the last tortilla and cut the borek into slices.
Pour the remaining liquid mixture on top and sprinkle nigella seeds (see the picture). Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C) and cook for about 30-35 minutes, until it turns golden brown. Serve Tortilla Borek warm and it is good to go with Turkish Tea.